Prozac and breastfeeding.

Amy

I took Prozac for depression from the time I was 13 to about 19 years old. Im now 28. I've always had depression, but have dealt with it by dedicating myself to my career and keeping busy. Right before I concieved last year I took zoloft for about a month. My primary care dr said it was safer for pregnant women and I should take it because I was trying to conceive. I stopped taking it after a month because I thought it was making me feel "crazy" and emotional, but it turns out I was pregnant. So I dunno if it really was the zoloft or early pregnancy hormones.

I just had my first baby in March. She's beautiful and I love her. I think I still have depression and need to be on something. My ob dr gave me a prescription for prozac. She knew I am breastfeeding. She told me to just make sure I tell my daughters pediatrician next time I go.

Well... I told her pediatrician who looked up on her phone in the office and said prozac is definitely not safe for my baby and was concerned about how long I've been taking it :(

I told her I'd stop taking it because breastfeeding is important to me.

I've stopped it for 4 days now and I'm super depressed. Like I'm laying in bed since Friday night not wanting to do anything but tend to my baby. My whole body aches. I'm so stressed and overwhelmed by my teaching career too. It is the last week of school and I've got so much to do.

I'm just venting I guess. I don't like having to chose between depression or my baby's health. :(

I added a pic of my baby girl because she is my ray of sunshine in my otherwise gloomy weekend.