HSG experience... to all you future mommas!!!

Kayla

This was it: the first test to determine if my reproductive organs function. Thoughts raced through my mind as I sat on the cold hard table: how will I feel if the test showed something wrong?

A dusk of wind blew my hospital gown at my knees as the radiologist technician walked into the cold room. "Are you aware of how we perform this test: the HSG?" She jotted notes on her clipboard.

"Yes," I whispered. I cleared my throat, "I tried googling some stuff which was probably not the best thing to do: lots of false information." I giggled. It was a nervous shakey laugh and she could tell.

"Don't worry," she said, "the great thing about this test is that some woman don't feel too much pain. And if you do feel a lot of pain, it is only for a short period of time."

This gave me a great amount of relief. She began explaining the procedure. I nodded along and she began to set up the tray. My husband was sitting in the waiting room with a bag of my clothes. I could only imagine the thoughts running through his head. I was sure they were similar to mine. All I wanted to see was that dye flow freely into my abdominal cavity through at least one fallopian tube. All we needed was one to be open.

"You can lay down now and we will call Dr. Adams to begin the exam."

I bent my knees and scooted my bum to the edge of the hospital examination table. The room was so quiet. All I could hear was the ringing of the machines around me. I stared at the ceiling tapping my fingers against my belly. I was completely exposed.

The sound of a curtain opening made me jolt up and squeeze my legs together. It must have been a reflex. "Hello, Kayla. I am Dr. Adams. Pleased to finally meet you."

I quickly relaxed, "hello, same to you."

Four people were in the room; they were all professionals, however, it felt awkward having my lady parts for everyone to see. The vaginal speculum was inserted. Like a pap smear; it was uncomfortable but bearable. She then began cleaning the cervix. This, too, was tolerable. She instructed that the catheter tip was now to be inserted through the cervix. This is when I tensed up. I tried to relax, but I knew that this could be painful. I felt a pop. It was followed by cramping. I started to wiggle my toes and close my eyes. Another pop. I began to wiggle my fingers as well. One more pop and the catheter was in. Cramping followed. The doctor announced, "good. That was the worst part. You handled that well, so I am sure the dye will be fine."

I sighed in relief. I kept my hands on my chest and wiggled my fingers as if I was playing a piano. It felt like bad menstral cramps... with a vaginal speculum insitu and sitting with legs spread and knees up. All in all, it was ok.

The radiologist came in. Although he did not give an introduction, I was relieved this procedure was almost done. The dye was injected into the uterus. I looked up at the screen to see the outline of my uterus. Slowly, my right fallopian tube began to illuminate, and then the left. The dye began to spill from the right side. I smiled and cheered out loud. And then a couple seconds later the dye spilled from the left side. I don't remember any pain associated with it. It may be because I was so fascinated and nervous with what was happening on screen.

That was it. A heavy weight lifted off of my shoulders. I sat up from the bed with a soaker pad between my legs. I waddled to the bathroom to wash and dress. Next, I went to the waiting room to see my husband sitting there with a blank face. We stared at each other for a second. I smiled and lifted my arms out, "we passed."