What over the counter (OTC) medications are safe for me to use?
You'll likely need some sort of non-prescription medication during your pregnancy, whether it's to ease a headache or a bad case of heartburn — and your provider should provide you a list of recommended OTC meds that are safe to take in pregnancy. While it's important to check with your doctor about the medications you can use before popping any pill, Dr. Mixer says the following are typically recommended:
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) for headache/pain/fever
- Vitamin B6 & doxylamine (Unisom) or Diclegis for nausea/vomiting
- Chlorpheniramine and tripelennamine for cold and allergy symptoms
- Fiber supplement for constipation
- Saline nasal spray for allergies