Amitriptyline and Migraine

Does anyone have any experience with this medication, particularly for chronic pain/migraine? How long did it take to start working? 
I have been on 10mg for three weeks now. The first week I felt pretty great, but I'm figuring it was probably the placebo affect. On about the tenth day, I came down with a horrendous migraine, the worst I had had in a while. And now I am back to feeling like I always have (which is about level 4 or 5 pain daily, with spikes every few days). Do I just need more time for it to work? I have read it can take up to a few months. 
I am seeing my doctor in about a week to follow up, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experiences to share. 
Anyone else who is suffering or has suffered from chronic migraine with advice to share would be greatly appreciated as well! I have done a lot-- changing my diet completely, exercising, natural supplements, acupuncture, physical therapy, balancing hormones, aromatherapy, cefaly decice, etc. etc. It has been a very debilitating disease for me, and this is going on year 7 or 8 of suffering and attempting to find solutions. I feel like it is actually getting worse, almost as if the pain receptors in my brain only get stronger with every treatment I try. 😞😒
So really, anything would be appreciated. 💙 Thank you!