How I Laughed Out My Son: Declan Patrick's pro-epidural birth story :)

Colleen • FTM living with hubs and lil Declan Patrick in sunny Florida...
Declan was due this past Friday, July 29th but our story begins on Sunday, July 24th, my husband's birthday. That morning, I began to feel a period-like cramp in my lower abdomen. I haven't felt anything similar in several months so I wondered if this was the beginning of labor, especially since I had a bloody show the day prior. We headed to hubs' birthday lunch at the Cheesecake Factory with my parents and I noticed the cramp was beginning to recur so we started timing them. They were irregular... Anywhere from 15 to 30 mins apart. This was around 2 pm on Sunday. Little did I know that Saturday was gonna be my last good night of sleep! Sunday night I couldn't fall asleep at all as the cramping progressed and by 4 am these what I now know to officially be contractions were 7 minutes apart. I was so nervous to be sent home by the hospital so I called my ob at 6 am Monday and she recommended I wait until contractions were 4 mins apart for at least two hours before heading to the hospital. My husband wanted to stick to the 5-1-1 rule so we officially left for the hospital at 8:30. I was checked and everyone was stunned that I was already 6-7 cm and 100% effaced!! Apparently my spirits were too high lol. They admitted me and, as I was rolled upstairs, a nurse asked if I would be getting an epidural or if I'd be going naturally since I'd come so far already. When she confirmed that yes, the pain will get worse, I confirmed id be sticking with my original epidural plan. As soon as we got into my room and we got the IV going, I noticed my contractions were really starting to hurt, so I asked for the epidural. I had been extremely nervous to get an epidural but it's true what they say, the contractions are so intense and nearly take your breath away that getting a needle back there sounds like an amazing idea at the time. The pain of the epidural process was a 2/10, not kidding. If your only epidural fear is the pain, get over it now because I totally hyped it up unnecessarily. Once it was in, all contraction pain went away. She had me on a continuous low dose. I was given a button that would give me more if I felt I needed it but I never had to use it. It took me until about 3 pm to dilate to 10 cm. While I waited, I relaxed by eating ice chips, watching Keeping Up with the Kardashians (seriously), laughing and joking with the staff and hubs... I felt like a million bucks. At 3 pm, my OB's midwife was the one on duty at the hospital so she said lets try some practice pushes. I did so well with them that she said I was ready for the real thing and so began an hour and a half of pushing. What's cool is that, although I couldn't feel any pain and I was told when I was contracting and when to push, I eventually could feel the pressure of both his presence down there plus the pressure of a more intense contraction so I actually felt in complete relaxed control of labor. Also, my legs were tingly and felt asleep but I didn't lose all sensation in my lower half, which was another fear I once had. I continued laughing all through labor and, at one point, I told them all to stop making me laugh because I could feel myself laughing him out of me. They told me to go right ahead and I could feel him slide more and more. At 4:25 PM on Monday, July 25th, the day after his daddy's birthday, I laughed out Declan Patrick with KUWTK on in the background, with the help of an epidural, and with a 2nd degree tear. I still kinda blame the laughing on why I tore... Lol. However, this was my best case scenario. I didn't get turned away by the hospital, I was able to have a vaginal delivery, and the epidural was nothing like I thought it would be. The tear was sore but I'm feeling much better now on day 9 and little man slept for eight hours total last night, even if they were in little 2-3 hour segments 😄😊😄😊