What should I do?? 😫

🇲🇽
So much high school drama when you are a high school teacher! 🙄 
So I'm in a dilemma. I am a teacher and I work with my best friend/roommate. Yesterday she very excitedly told me she had some gossip and said she heard from someone who heard from someone that a teacher at our school is in an open marriage. I already knew this, because the teacher told me in confidence (and I kept it to myself!) but he was very clear that his wife didn't want anyone to know. When tracing back the rumor, the person who seemed to have originally started telling people does not know this teacher well at all and told people while drunk. I am 99% sure he was just making assumptions and didn't know for sure about the open marriage (again, because the teacher was very concerned about people finding out). 
Anyway, I told my best friend that people spreading this rumor is so messed up and can ruin his marriage and career (yes, career. I know of a teacher who was fired due to her sex life even though it was legal and all outside of work). I told her she needs to tell the teacher people are talking about it so he can address/squash the rumor. She told me she didn't want people to be mad at her for telling him they were talking about him. 
So I feel like worrying about upsetting a bunch of gossipers is so minuscule compared to what is at stake for this teacher. I feel awful for him, but she is my best friend and lives with me so i don't know  what to do!

Vote below to see results!