home buying

So my husband and I have been trying to get approved to buy a home. But no matter what we do, we can't get approved! We've tried three different lenders, even using the VA loan since my husband is about to get out of the military and start a new job here. We both have good credit history and our average score together is like 750, which is good! We both work full time and make enough money, plus my husband receives disability from the military for life, which they also count as income. We fill out every single requirement and have a very large down payment ready, almost 40% in fact for the house we've had our eye on...but for some reason we just keep getting turned away. Without reason, other than the fact that he's leaving the military. All the times we've applied for the home loan, they ask for proof of his reenlistment, except he's not reenlisting. I just don't understand why this keeps happening! They keep turning us away because he isn't reenlisting. But that shouldn't matter because I'm working, he's working and has a good job set up to start along with a letter of his start date and salary...nothing is making sense. Does anyone know why this keeps happening to us? Any advice or info on home loan requirements, specifically VA loans...? I'm just so upset because we keep losing these homes we fall in love with, and everything seems to fall through.