8 changes to help increase your fertility

Tasha
Hi Ladies,
I read that the number one cause of infertility is anovulation (lack of ovulation) and that it can often be remedied by changes in the diet. 
A 'fertility diet' can regulate our hormones, regulate ovulation, lengthen a short luteal phase and even improve CM / make conditions in there more likely to keep the sperm alive for longer. All therefore more likely to get a BFP.  
I plan to try to make some changes to my diet that could actually help improve my fertility and I thought it was worth sharing the info I'd found in case anyone else wants to give it a go too.
A bit of background: I am in my 4th month TTC #1 and beginning to get worried about my fertility and how long things might take. It's obviously too early for us to visit the doctor to begin checking if there are any problems/ reasons why it hasn't happened straight away for us.  
I want to do everything I can to try and improve my chances in the next few months. I've been tracking BBT & CM and I think I'm either not ovulating or ovulating late with a very short luteal phase / luteal phase defect. Also I seem to have only about half a day of EWCM.
I'm sure I'm not pregnant again this month.  AF is due 17th Oct (5 days) and I'm actually looking forward to it for once. I plan to start living and eating healthier, taking control of my own body and I hope my fertility. I feel really hopeful this could work so can't wait for a new month and a new start to try it.  
From what I've read following this kind of a diet makes it more likely we will have healthy babies and pregnancies if/when we do get our BFP's and makes miscarriage a little less likely too. All obviously great things and I think, worth a try!
It can take some time. What we eat today apparently impacts the health of our eggs 90 days from now so I'll try not to be disheartened if I don't get that BFP straight away next month.
I have copied in below the best and simplest explanation of what I've read and the diet changes I plan to make. I hope some of you will join me and that maybe this can help us achieve our BFP's. I'm usually not the best at sticking to diets for weight loss etc, but I feel more motivated to change my eating habits than ever before as the reward could be a BFP.  Good luck and baby dust everyone xxx

Summary: 

Harvard performed a recent study that showed an 80% decrease in infertility with lifestyle changes made by switching to a fertility diet. Women who followed a combination of five or more lifestyle factors, including changing specific aspects of their diets, experienced more than 80 percent less relative risk of infertility due to ovulatory disorders compared to women who engaged in none of the factors, according to a paper published in Obstetrics & Gynecology.

The women with the highest fertility diet scores ate less trans fats and sugar from carbohydrates, consumed more protein from vegetables than from animals, ate more fiber and iron, took more multivitamins, had a lower body mass index (BMI), exercised for longer periods of time each day, and, surprisingly, consumed more high-fat dairy products and less low-fat dairy products.

1) Eat more complex carbs and limit highly processed ones.

The body digests bad carbs (like cookies, cakes, white bread and white rice) quickly, and turns them into blood sugar. To drive down the blood-sugar spike, the pancreas releases insulin into the bloodstream.

Good carbs (those containing fiber, such as fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains) are digested slowly and have a more gradual effect on blood sugar and insulin. Studies have found that high insulin levels appear to inhibit ovulation.

2) Avoid all trans fats

Trans fats (found primarily in foods such as commercial baked and snack foods, animal products, french fries and some margarines) increase insulin resistance.

Insulin helps move glucose from the bloodstream to the cells; resistance means it's harder to move glucose into the cells. The pancreas keeps pumping out more insulin anyway, and the result is more insulin in your bloodstream. High insulin levels cause a lot of metabolic disturbances that affect ovulation.  

3) Eat more healthy unsaturated fats.

Healthy unsaturated fats found in nuts and seeds are essential for hormone production and hormones are responsible for regulating ovulation.

4) Consume one or two servings a day of whole milk or other full-fat dairy foods, such as yogurt, and less non- and low-fat dairy.

"We found that the more low-fat dairy products in a woman's diet, the more trouble she had getting pregnant," says Walter Willett, M.D., a professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health.

"The more full-fat dairy products she ate, the less likely she was to have trouble."

5) Take a daily multivitamin that contains at least 400 micrograms of folic acid and 40 to 80 milligrams of iron.

Women in the Harvard study who took daily multivitamins containing 400 micrograms of folic acid were 40 percent less likely to experience ovulatory infertility over the eight years than women who didn't.

6) Eat organic vegetables and fruits

Conventional produce contains harmful herbicides and pesticides which have been shown to negatively effect both male and female fertility. Studies have also shown organic vegetables and fruits to have more nutritional value.

7) No soy of any form unless fermented such as miso and tempehSoy foods have been shown to contain estrogen mimicking properties. It is best to avoid processed soy foods such as soy milk, soy burgers, soy protein powder, soy chips, soy meats, and soy cheeses to avoid a negative impact on your hormonal balance. If you have hypothyroidism avoid soy completely.

8) Drink lots of clean water 

Be sure to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of clean, purified or filtered water daily. It is best to avoid bottled water as some of the plastics in the bottle can contribute to hormonal imbalance due to their estrogen mimicking chemicals. The best waters to choose from are reverse osmosis and distilled. Avoid tap water, as many recent studies have shown tap water to be laced with harmful pesticides from agricultural runoff.
9) Take a good pre-natal vitamin
This is the only piece I haven't directly copied and pasted as I found so so much info about all of the various benefits of the different vitamins,  and macro nutrients we should make sure we are getting when TTC.  I think the easiest way to get them all in is to invest in the tablets.
Also: I read that most of these changes would be beneficial to male fertility too. The most important nutrient for men and for strong healthy swimmers is Zinc. So, my hubs is going to start taking zinc and we'll try and make most of these diet changes together.
If anyone has read all the way to the end of this very long post and decides to try this with me, please keep in touch and let me know how you get on Xx