Just wanted to share words regarding the election from my professor

Kaleigh

I lowkey recorded by professor today because I knew she would speak on some deep stuff after the election and I respect her opinion so much. It's a shame she always fears losing her job because she refuses to sugarcoat things and hide the truth. This is long, but insightful. I truly love when non-minorities understand our history and struggles.

"Be cognizant of this. We already talked about the great lie of race. Race was a social construct invented to keep white indentured servants from uniting with black slaves because plantation owners were afraid of sheer numbers. It's the same lie we use to keep unions from recruiting black workers to keep unions weak for a long time. The unions finally caught on and then once black people joined we denounced the unions and stripped them of their power. It's the same lie we use today to distract us from outsourcing and the fact that supposedly this really rich white dude is going to save really poor white people because he's like them...he's like them like this (points to her white skin). It's the exact same thing plantation owners did...I was surprised that one of the richest men in our country could convince poor people that he was one of them until I remembered that that was what the plantation owners did with the indentured servants. This is white backlash to a black president. This is why people overwhelming responded to a message of 'take our country back and make it great again'....you know, before that black guy was in office. The best thing that we can do as individuals is be cognizant of that, be kind right now, and it's important that we don't hate each other...and if you do care about people who's rights are potentially on the line, fight for their rights."

"I'm not going to tell people not to be scared. I'm scared and I'm one of the least impacted because I'm still protected by whiteness. Now, based on the lectures I've given today, I may or may not have a job on Monday because I'm not going to side with Donald Trump and I'm not going to hide the truth that this election was about race when white people say they've been forgotten. It should not surprise us that the driving vote for Tuesday's election were working class, impoverished, under-educated white men. The very men who have been tricked to believe that their plight is the result of minorities having rights and women having rights and gay people having rights. It should also not surprise us that our next president is a man who spent a lot of time, five straight years in fact, trying to convince us that our current non-white president wasn't American. That's not a coincidence ya'll."