Best birth control pill that worked for you?

Audrey
Hi ladies, I'm here asking about birth control pills. (TL;DR below)
I've tried microgestin and Junel fe so far. I was on microgestin for a year, but I started getting depression and weight gain of 15+ pounds from it, so I decided to stop it two months ago.

My period is back to normal, and during that time of the month it is hard for me to go about my daily life. I was considering the sponge, but it is apparently not that effective, even with double contraception. My sex life is somewhat active and with my normal period returning I would like to try and get back on the pill, but I am not sure where to start searching. 
My gynocologist recommended the mini pill, but I am very anxious if I miss my period and apparently that can happen when taking it. I am looking for a pill that provides a light flow, and if not also, low side effects, especially not depression. 
I was wondering what worked best for you guys and if you could help me out. I would really appreciate it. 
TL;DR 
I was wondering which birth control pill has worked best for you, and (if any) what side effects happened from it. 
Also, if you are on the mini pill, did that work better for you?
Thanks so much!