Multiple Periods Per/Mo?! Help!

Alright so, I've been having multiple periods every month for the past 3 months. I am 29, I had a tubal ligation about 5 years ago, and I've been in a serious relationship with the father of my 3 children for 10 years (11 in February). I have been having 2 periods a month since October! That is actually the reason I downloaded this app, is to keep better track of exactly when I am having them. I wasn't terribly worried, I just thought my hormones were regulating after I stopped taking birth control pills (took them for a short period of time, maybe a month back in July?). BUT now I've noticed the blood smells different... It's NOT FISHY, it's kind of... Oh I don't even know how to explain the smell but it isn't my vag, it's the actual blood itself that smells. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before? And what was causing the irregular periods (it's more like a period and 2 weeks later some heavy spotting)? I have an appointment scheduled with a physician this morning and ill report back with anything I learn. Thanks!