First Trimester Screening

Kellie
I just wanted to post something regarding NT scans. My husband and I had been told by a nurse friend of ours that it would be in our best interest to do the NT scan. I was super reluctant because of all the false positive I had read about but did it anyways. The whole experience was traumatic to say the least. The doctor told us due to the high level of fluid behind the baby's beck, there was a high likelihood of chromosomal abnormalities. Mind you, the fluid was at 2.9-3.2mm (normal being 3mm), a nasal bone was present and I don't fall into the high risk category of age. She first offered the amniocentesis which carries the risk of miscarriage and then offered the maternit genome blood test which tests all 46 chromosomes for abnormalities. We opted to start with the blood test which was covered by insurance but still cost $800 out of pocket. Yikes! They told us they they wouldn't have the results for the next 8 business days. The next 10+ days were pure torture. Being human, I couldn't help but go to worst case scenario. I read every story, every comment, every post about NT scans. It was a nightmare waiting for that call. Today we received the call that the test came back negative and we have a perfectly healthy girl. Thank goodness!!!!! I just wanted to post this experience for others who will inevitably go through this exact same experience. Please know your chances are very good that your baby is perfectly healthy. If you are young, healthy and don't have a history, I recommend saving yourself the pain and just trust that everything is ok. If something is wrong, they will find out during other checkups. I hope my story helps ease at least one persons fears.