to FTM wanting to breastfeed

Ashlyn
I just have a little advice for you first time moms who want to breastfeed. I had my first 11 months ago and planned on breastfeeding. Don't underestimate how difficult breastfeeding is. First of all it can be VERY painful for the first few weeks...especially if your baby doesn't have a good latch. Second, you will experience hunger like you never have before when breastfeeding. 10 minutes after breastfeeding, I was SO hungry...like I hadnt eaten in a day when it had only been a few hours. Third, make sure to do a lot of research on breastfeeding so you know what to expect. As first time moms we tend to do tons of research on labor and delivery and I wish I had done more research and mentally prepared for breastfeeding because it is a huge commitment and it's not easy! I would like to say I was successful but I only breastfed for about 12 weeks...I started supplementing at 10 weeks. And to give some perspective...I had no pain at this point, I had enough milk, and I never leaked. I was golden and I still didn't make it because it is so demanding mentally and physically. This time I feel like I know what to expect and I'll be able to make it much longer. But each week, each day is an accomplishment when breastfeeding! Find a support group and join the breastfeeding group on this app too! Hope this helps someone bc I wish somebody had warned me how difficult it is when I was pregnant with my first!