Promise ring? Sorry this is long.

Jessalyn
My boyfriend got me a promise ring about 8 months ago, the only problem is that he hasn't given it to me yet. We have been together for two years now but things aren't going the best here I'm the last little bit. We have always made it through our problems and arguments and we are making it through them this time too, but it seems like something new always comes up for us to argue about. He told me when he got it (he is terrible at keeping secrets!!) and I thought he was going to give it to me when he said told me about getting it but he didn't. The topic has came up several times since then and he always says "I just want to make sure I want to give it to you", or "I want to wait until the time is right." I don't understand why if he got it if he "wasn't" sure about giving it to me. It makes me feel like he is having second thoughts about being with me, but he swears he isn't. Now that we are going through rough times he is now saying that things have to be perfect before he gives it to me. But I think that a promise ring should be given to someone you love because you can make it through the bad times together, and you want to be together no matter what. Not because everything is perfect at the time. Every relationship is going to have faults, no one is perfect and neither is any relationship. I don't know what to do! This is really starting to bother me! What are your opinions? What should I do?