My boyfriend's mum

My boyfriend's mum has just passed away. We knew that she was going to pass soon (diagnosed with terminal cancer and she refused treatment and doctors then gave her about 5 months). My boyfriend is taking it too well. I know that sounds weird but I know him and this isn't him. 
He is not on the best terms with his parents. He lived with his grandparents from a young age and at one point went into the foster system. He is still in contact with his parents (mostly because his younger siblings live with his parents again a few years ago). Over the last year he's done so much to help his family out financially and emotionally. He does anything he can for his siblings and parents which is a lot considering he lives across the country from them and is still in school full time. He's honestly more of a parent to his siblings than a brother and I've seen him with his mother once before and he acted more like the parent in that relationship. 
Anyways, it's always been a difficult situation for him. But now that his mum is gone he's acting like everything is ok. I know it's not. He's not ok. He loves his mum no matter what happened between them. I've never had a death in my family (not even a grandparent) at this point in my life so I really don't know what to do to help. We're LDR so that makes it harder. I've told him that if he needs me I'm here for him. I'm planning on going for the funeral but it'll be a very short trip as I have an exam the following afternoon. I know he's hurting but I just don't know how to help him.