When to take away bottle?

Nina
My pedi said that we need to be off bottles and formula by 12 months and replace it will 16oz of whole milk in a sippy cup daily. My son is 10 months and I think we should start weaning soon to be off by 12 months, but he is very attached to his bottle. He loves to eat food but still cries for a bottle several times a day. He always wakes up between 5-7am has a bottle then goes back to sleep until 9am. Once he's weaned would I then give them him a sippy cup of milk in early morning instead of the bottle of formula? He's not taking to a sippy cup very well so far. He will drink water or formula out if it occasionally but he doesn't really care for it. He will drink water out of my glass or straw happily, but doesn't really care about a sippy cup. I bought a sippy cup with a straw but you have to suck really hard to get liquid out because it's spill proof and he gives up because he's used a regular straw. Any suggestions? It is really necessary for him to be off bottles by 12 months? Help!