Just the plain old facts
I keep seeing posts (not referring to any in particular.) But it seems that a lot of odd information in floating around on the use of marijuana in pregnancy.
I have done a mass amount of research and I will only list risks that are true. Also I will reference my information. I cannot remember all the books I have read but I will try to find corresponding internet links. I highly doubt too many would read the books anyway.
Woman: It can make cycle inconsistent.
Men: It has been proven that it can cause sperm abnormalities. It is 'thought' that it can reduce sperm quality and lower testosterone levels.
- Marijuana passes to the placenta regardless of the way you take it in.
- When smoked it disrupts oxygen and nutrient delivery to baby. This can cause growth restrictions.
- Can cause miscarriage.
- Risks premature birth.
- Can cause stillbirth.
Baby after birth: (can cause)
- Delayed breathing at birth.
- Low birth weight.
- Poor eye sight.
- Ventricular septal defect
- Features similar to that of children with FASD.
- Poor ability to adapt to new environments.
First 6 months:
- Increase in chest infections.
- Breathing problems.
- Greater risk of developing asthma.
- SIDS (risk continues).
After that age:
- Shorter length of play.
- Poor verbal, memory and reasoning ability.
- Lower ability in motor skills.
- Trouble attaching in relationships.
- More likely to be inattentive, delinquent, hyperactive and fearful.
- Depression and conduct problems.
- Increase in childhood cancers.
I'm out of time but I will come back and give the references tonight if you want to check back