Cold feet about adopting a dog?

Amanda
I've been wanting a dog for a very long time. I have a great apartment with a grassy yard that's pet-friendly, a job that pays well that's 5 minutes away from home, and the time in afternoons and weekends to commit to a dog. I'm going to be a senior in college. I've been waiting for the right time and I think its the right time... but I'm scared about this huge commitment! Everyone makes it seem like getting a dog will ruin your life and that you can never travel again or go out for drinks with your friends on a Friday night. I know it's a big deal but an adult, housetrained dog is not a newborn baby that must be tended to 24/7. 
 My boyfriend and I went to the shelter yesterday with no intention of falling in love with a dog. The moment we saw him in the kennel, I knew he stole our hearts and we couldn't leave without taking him out to play. He was SO well behaved and sweet, and it just felt so right. He was everything we've ever wanted. The shelter staff also said that we were the first people who have shown any interest in him in the two weeks that he's been stuck in that shelter 💔 What should I do? And is it normal to be nervous and have cold feet about this?