IMPORTANT regarding mental health/autism problems

Dahlia

I have just read the book "Brain on Fire" by Susannah Cahalan. It is a true story. She was a young woman,age 24, working at the new york Post when she suddenly syarted having seizures and became erratic, and psychotic. She took dozens of tests all of which proves that she was physically healthy. She was becoming paranoid and believed that her father was an imposter and trying to kill his wife. She claimed that people were watching her. Many of the doctors thought that she had a mood disorder and some kind of psychosis. Then she lost her ability to do simple math problems and to form complex sentences. After a month of her in the hospital, literally going crazy, they found the problem. She had Anti-NMDA-receptor autoimmune encephalitis. She was the 217th person in the WORLD to be diagnosed with this and soon the diagnoses doubled and tripled. This disease is so challenging because it can be mistaken for so many other things. There are people that are diagnoses with schizophrenia or autism etc because of this. I felt the need to share this because despite the growing awareness, there are still people that should be informed. This disease can lead to a coma and Even death. I am posting this in groups that I believe relate to it because if you or a loved one had an unexplained disorder this may be something to consider. She wrote about doctors linking this to schizophrenia and they found that there a "schizophrenic" patients that actually had somekind of inflammation in their brains, like her. even though it wasnt the same disease it was related. This is common in young women and childrena and is often mistaken as autism in children. Even if none of these are problems for you it was a very interesting book and I suggest you read it or atleast read the many articles online about it. You can search "my month of madness" or "brain on fire".