Bi Polar

Gwynne
This is a question for anyone who has some experience with Bipolar Disorder. I am going to apologize right away incase I say something insensitive, my experience with this is limited to one really bad experience. I have a mother in law, who I will refer to as Alice (because my husband gets angry "She is not my mother")who has Bipolar disorder along with being an alcoholic. While I was pregnant with my first child she had a very bad period of several months, her and I butted heads a couple of times but for the most part my husband sheilded me from it. However she actually threatened bodily harm to my sister in law, who then got a temporary restraining order. I know she can also be physically abusive to my father in law, during her high/drunk periods. She eventually found a different therapist and things improved greatly (although apparently she still drinks)to the point that I have allowed a relationship to form between my oldest, now two, and her. Everything was going great but now she is back on a high period. Now let me be clear, nothing concerning has happened. Mostly she is now a working machine, she just spent the whole morning cutting cedar trees (trust me that is work). Then this afternoon she stopped by and picked a fight with my husband about those "evil heartless republicans" (my husband HAD to of course say something but for the most part kept his mouth shut, to his credit) she completely changed turned red faced and started shaking. I managed to get her calmed down before she left, with the two year olds help. Now here are my concerns: I do not know if she is taking her meds, or if she is drinking (though I think she does at night). Should I be more cautious of the time my two year old spends with her? I was letting the child go over to grandpa and Alices for sometimes the whole afternoon. She is not bad yet but could she get worse? Are there signs I should look for if she does become unstable? Talking to her is not an option we do not have that kind of relationship.