Should I be concerned about my stepson

My step son is nearly 9 years old and I am concerned that he hasn't mastered some of life's most basic everyday skills. My husband doesn't seem to be worried or has even noticed for that matter.

He cannot use a knife and fork to cut his food up. This is an everyday struggle which usually results in him trying to rip the food apart until someone has to cut it up for him

He cannot tie his shoe laces. This is something that he was taught late and it was actually my mum that tried to first teach him at around 6 years old.

He knows the difference between right and wrong and that he shouldn't lie. Yet he chooses to lie and make wrong decisions even when he is not in trouble and there is no need to lie.

Is this normal for children or this age. What can I do to support him if it's not. I don't have any children myself but I can't help compare him to other children of his age that are capable of doing all of these things and thinking that he is falling behind.

Academically he is so smart and is really excelling in maths and English and he loves to read. I guess that's why I'm finding it hard to understand why he can't do the above