May not be able to breastfeed..

Elizabeth

This is hard for me to share, but I feel like it's important. I'm 23 weeks pregnant and I'm bipolar. Before I got pregnant I was on Lithium and doing really well. After talking with my doctor, ob and psychiatrist we all decided the best course of action was for me to stay on Lithium during my pregnancy. so I did, up until one month in, when I decided I would just stop the medicine completely. I was so worried about the medicines effects on that baby and I thought I would rather deal with any negative emotional effects on my own. . . I was doing OK up until the last few weeks. I began having really serious depression and anxiety, had to take time off work and went through mornings and evenings where I couldn't stop crying. I'm starting up the Lithium again, even though I know that means I may not be able to breastfeed. . I decided I couldn't take care of my baby if I couldn't even take care of myself. My doctor says there still might be options for me to breastfeed, but it's not definite 😐 is anyone else not able to breastfeed who really wants to? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ways you cope with it. Thanks for listening everyone. 💕 PS so far baby has been, very healthy, the anatomy scan went well and we have a fetal echo heart exam coming up to measure baby's heart development, since the main risk of Lithium during pregnancy is heart problems.