Boyfriends mom & stepdad are xenophobic??? Should that affect our relationship..?

Emily • Tolerance can be a strength.

This is gonna be long so bare w me...

yesterday I was at my boyfriends families new house. He moved into this new house just a little bit before summer, but I didn't go over for a little bit because they were moving in & renovating and blah blah blah.

ANYWAYS, my bf's step dad (Joe) got there and he was talking about his day at work and suddenly the entire convo shifted. They started complaining because the town next to ours is predominantly Hispanic, & THEY don't know Spanish. So that makes them "mad" ....

Joe started going IN on how he was "surprised" that a Hispanic man wasn't "as stupid as he thought" because, despite the language barrier, this man understood joe??

Then, his mom started complaining about how people in the deltona walmart speak Spanish to one another. Insisting, "if you're at work in America then you should be speaking English. To me and to your co workers" ....

I just couldn't help but feel slighted, especially because they know that my family is first generation immigrant.... I'm so disappointed in them but furthermore, should i let this affect my relationship?

My boyfriend debated his mom, so that's good, and I know he doesnt hold the same beliefs... but now I just feel like it can cause such a divide..

I wanna distance myself from them but I find myself wanting to distance myself from most people in general... so I was trying to get over that by visiting them again, and then this happened... they never used this rhetoric against Spanish-speakers before, so I'm just extremely disappointed in them.