Speech Delay (later on in the process)

M

So I caught dd's SD at 2. She did ST 2X a week from 2-3 yrs. Then I got her an IEP and she was placed in a specialized pre-K through the school district which she did from 3 , and is still in that class currently at age 4.

At the pace she is going, I don't think she is ready to be in a regular kindergarten class next year, even if they pull her out for speech 2x a week (that's what I heard they usually do). She is learning, but still can't be understood by the average person, and also has trouble expressing herself when put on the spot.

She needs something more fitting!! She specifically has an articulation disorder now, not really a speech delay. She says a lot, but it is hard to understand. There are a few sounds she can't make. How can she thrive in a regular class, when she has special needs and needs extra time to respond or be understood. I really don't want her to be in a regular class until she's ready😣

She has an IEP meeting coming up, and I want to advocate for her, but wondering if any moms had advice on what I can ask for. You really have to push them to get what you need for your child. She is not the average speech delayed kid, she has a couple of other quirks as well (needs a lot of behavior management and can get into moods of not talking at all).

I'm thinking she may need to be held back or have an aide, or be placed in another specialized class to meet her needs. JW if these are options other moms have asked for for their kids, or any other helpful advice!

Thank you!