Blended Announcement Struggles 😣

Kim

It’s been a while since I announced my pregnancy on social media, but I wanted to post mine to help anyone that struggled with it like I did. My boyfriend has an 8 year old daughter, his first baby. I didn’t think I would have as much anxiety about making the announcement that I did, and it caused me to hold off until after 14 weeks! I wanted to do something cute, but most examples are of either “first baby” or “not an only child anymore” stuff. This is my first baby, so I wanted it to be a first baby post. But I didn’t want to make my boyfriend’s daughter feel left out. I just didn’t know what to do, and it caused a full blown meltdown. I didn’t even want to make the announcement anymore.

My solution: make all of the focus on baby and no one else. My boyfriend wanted to do a mommy, daddy, baby thing, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. It isn’t the reality of our family. I want him and others to understand that. It’s really been a complicated process, because I feel like I am more sensitive to how others might feel. At the time, I didn’t feel like I could celebrate my first pregnancy as that, my first. That’s been very hard on me. One of my best friends lost their baby around the same time too, and I was so heartbroken for them. There was just so much happening and lots of emotion. My boyfriend is really wonderful and has gone to every doctor visit with me, but it is apparent that all of the “first” feelings, I am experiencing alone. It has caused me to be more reserved about my excitement, and I am really trying to change that.

The announcement was a rough step for me though, and I hope that anyone out there with a similar situation can find comfort in that it is okay to make your baby the focus and to celebrate your bundle of love openly! Once I made the actual announcement, I felt so much better. 💕🍼