Why I won’t take my husbands last name

Mo • Married 9/24/16. Mommy 7/22/17 ❤️

Now before anyone jumps down my throat I am in no way bashing people who do take their husbands last name. It just isn’t right for me and I’ll tell you why.

Yes I know it unites the family under one name.

Yes I know it makes it easier for us to do certain things and especially in a hospital situation.

But here’s why I won’t

I love my last name. It isn’t pretty or unique or special. At all. But it’s important to me. It ties me to my heritage, my people, my clan!

My last name is Crawford. Nothing special. But that is a Scottish surname and the name of my family clan. We have have our own family crest, and cloth pattern that we use in our kilts and other accessories.

My father passed Away shortly after I was engaged and obviously I never got to have him walk me down the aisle or dance with me at my wedding.

My fathers family helped to build the town I grew up in, the town my husband grew up in, the place where we met! My grandma was a gym teacher at the grade school and junior high and they started the athletic booster at my high school so kids could continue to do sports without cutting into the schools budget. My uncle and dads helped the wrestling team win stage and my aunt was the last valedictorian the school ever had. My brother and sister and I all graduated with honors. I am incredibly proud of my last name.

When I asked my husband what his last name meant, where it was from. He didn’t know.

When I asked him if he would consider taking my last name he responded “absolutely not” when I asked if we could hyphenate or combine our last names into a new one or pick a new last name together I got the same answer “no. Nope, never”

So if my name means so much to me and he doesn’t care about his, why should I take it?

If he isn’t willing to take my last name, why should I take his?

And that’s why you can feel free to call me Mrs. Crawford!