I just want a hamster 😞

Samantha

I am 19 and I live at home. Recently I have really been wanting a hamster. I have enough money so my parents wouldn’t be paying a dime, I have my own car, and I already own my own dog that I take really good care of. I wanted to ask for their permission because it is their house and they should know if I’m going to bring another animal into the house. I asked my dad first and he said he wouldn’t have a problem with it because he had one growing up but he told me to ask my mom to make sure. When I asked her she laughed in my face and said “No because I’m not taking care of it like I took care of your goldfish.” I got upset and walked away. I haven’t had fish since I was 8 and what kind of responsibility was I supposed to have at the age of 8?? I have clearly grown up since then and now my dad has changed his mind for the same reason (cuz he doesn’t wanna end up taking care of it) and supposedly they say it’s too much work but I have done tons of research and It’s nothing I can’t handle.

I am extremely confused as to why they would be thinking this way ? I am always cleaning around the house. Doing dishes, feeding/watering the dogs, cleaning my room, etc... I have done everything they have ever asked of me responsibility wise without hesitation but now I’m not responsible enough to own a small hamster? This is all I can think about and it’s the only thing I would love for Christmas. What can I do to convince them I can take care of a hamster?