7 weeks, feeling overwhelmed; anyone else?

Su

I’m a FTM with a 7 week old little guy. He was born four weeks early so he was supposed to be a November baby, but he became our October surprise.

Lately, for the past two weeks or so, he’s been a nightmare when it comes to sleeping. I’m at my wits end. The fight to get him to nap is epic. His last nap took three HOURS for him to conk out, and I was trying to put him down before he got overtired. At night, when he wakes up, it will take HOURS to get him back to sleep. This morning he woke up at 4 am for his diaper change and feed, and it’s 10:00 am right now and he still hasn’t gone back to sleep. I’ve since fed and changed his diaper again. It’s not for lack of trying. I softly sing, I rock him, I pat his back, I have white noise going, I tried turning the vibration setting on his bassinet, I tried having him fall asleep on me to transfer him... he’d fall asleep for maybe ten minutes at the longest stretch, and then start fussing and then full on screaming. This has been going on for a week.

I am so tired. My husband pulled an all nighter the other night so I could catch up on sleep and baby slept soooooo long! He was definitely sleep deprived. For some reason I couldn’t sleep—I think I was overtired! I was just so anxious and overwhelmed I couldn’t sleep. When my husband told me the next morning that he was going to work from home to help me during the day, I was so tired all I could do was start bawling. That was yesterday. He left for work this morning and little guy is up to his usual shenanigans of fighting sleep. My mom is coming to visit me today.

I’m sorry for the long vent. I just feel so overwhelmed. So tired. And I feel like such a bad mom because I don’t know how to comfort him or get him to sleep.

He didn’t used to be this fussy, just the last week or two, and we’ve gotten gas drops and that’s helped him, so I don’t think that’s the factor here.

Is anyone else experiencing this? A baby who refuses to sleep? I feel like such a failure. This is by far the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life.

And yes, I am definitely crying as I’m writing this post.

Please tell me I’m not alone...