My brother and grandmother....

My mom has this student who is homeless now so he's been living with us. He's usually really quiet but for some reason my grandmother and brother don't like him. It's stressing me out so bad because he comes from a family that doesn't really care about him or like him (and even the members of his family who do like him are incapable of providing for him). I don't want this house to become another place where he feels unwanted but I can't force my brother and grandmother to like him. So far, I don't think either of them has said anything mean or rude to him, but I feel the tension building. I'm so worried but I feel like if I try to talk to them they'll just get more angry or annoyed because they'll feel like I'm "taking his side." It doesn't really help that nothing I say is ever taken seriously in my house for some reason. In fact, a lot of the time it seems like most of the people in my family actively oppose anything I say, especially my brother (Idk why, it's not like I'm disrespectful and I never pick fights). I don't want to make this worse but I'm scared to leave it alone too. What can I do? Have any of you ever been in a family where some members of the family just don't like another member?