Friends With My Ex

So, my ex and I started dating in July 2000, we were 16. 3 years later we welcomed our first daughter. 3 months after her birth we got married. Over the next 5 years we welcomed 2 more amazing daughters. We had our ups and downs over the years, but always made it through. Last year I started to become unhappy and felt unfulfilled. I tried to push aside my feelings for the sake of my family, but as time went on, he and I drifted further apart. Finally in June of this year I told him how I was feeling and that I was no longer in love with him. We didn't talk much for the next couple days, and then finally he told me that me telling him that made him realize he was no longer in love with me. For the next month we talked and talked, trying to decide what to do. Eventually we came to the conclusion that we would be better off apart, finding love and happiness elsewhere. After 17 years together (over half our lives) and 13 years of marriage, we decided to divorce, and we honestly were truly at peace with it. We started getting along better than we had in a long time. Telling our kids, that were 13, 10, and 8, was the hardest thing we have ever done, but we assured them that they would always be our priority, and our love for them was not changing.

About a month after we told the kids, he received a job offer in California (where we are from), and he moved from our home in Idaho, as he had grown unhappy with the state. This was August.

In the time I had grown unhappy with my marriage I started having feelings for someone else. NOTHING happen between us while I was still committed to my husband. In time I did fall in love with this man. He had taken a job that would have him out of state for 4 weeks, then home for 4 days. My ex suggested he move in with me and the girls, as there was no point in him renting a place of his own when he would only be home 4 days a month, and I could use the help with the bills.

About a week after my ex left for California, my boyfriend moved in. He is so amazing with my girls. While he was away for work, they texted him everyday. When they had nightmares, they wanted to call him. By November he was missing me and the girls too much, and found a job at home so he could be with us every night.

My ex and I still talk regularly. In fact today we talked for about an hour. We talked about how things were going with work and in my relationship, we talk about him entering the fun world of dating. He asked me for advice about a woman he recently met, and has enjoyed spending time with. We talked about how nice it was that we can still be friends and get along, talk about our lives and not feel sad or jealous, but happy for one another.

We spent 17 years of our lives together. We grew up together. I will always have love in my heart for him, and he will always be one of my best friends!

My hope is that anyone else going through a divorce can find the same calm and happiness that we have! xoxo