Miscarriage (14wks), D&C & Genetic Testing on Fetus

Ellie • TTC since Jan 2016. Severe endo. 2 CP (natural). 2 failed IUIs. First IVF loss @ 14wks, 2nd round both PGS abnormal, 3rd round BFP🌈 👶🤱 Arrived Jan 2019 🌈 With faith there is always hope. Praying for 2nd IVF miracle currently...

Hello all, I just wanted to chime in here and share my experience after our miscarriage and D&C; at 14wks. If it helps one person, it will be worth it.

On Dec 11th during a routine check up we found that the baby had no heartbeat and measured at 13wks. The D&C; was scheduled for Dec 14th at a local hospital (message me if you have questions or concerns about getting one). It was emotional, but physically I felt better afterwards.

The D&C; procedure was emotionally difficult, like losing the baby a second time, but somehow we found the wherewithal during that day to specifically request that genetic testing be done on the fetus, not just the standard pathology testing. Somewhere I had read about it and it stuck. They did not offer it, we had to ask for it. I believe it cost somewhere in the $100-200 range (haven’t seen the itemized bill yet) and I am so glad we had it done!

It was a long wait for results. During that time your mind goes over ever little thing and you are bound to find ways to blame yourself. DON’T, it’s not your fault!! Even if there is an issue within your body it is still not your fault.

A couple weeks later the pathology test came back negative, no obvious causes. And finally about 3-4 weeks later the genetic testing came back with the cause...Down syndrome. Knowing the why made it just a little bit easier for us to come to terms with the loss and to come to terms with the general truth of miscarriage, that our baby girl just wasn’t made for this world. Maybe this won’t help everyone, but knowing the why helped us process our grief. And going forward, it also helps our RE (this was our first <a href="https://glowing.com/glow-fertility-program">IVF</a>, fresh transfer) plan for our future cycles.

To all those suffering through loss, my heart aches with you. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions too.