Let’s get real about something

Keyla María • "Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself." -Rumi 🌻

It’s time to get real about something. Today, I’d like to bring a little bit of awareness about hypothyroidism. A few years ago, I went from 125 lbs to 215 lbs in the course of two years. People just assumed I was glutton and that it was my choice since I’ve always loved food. I’ve been “amicably” and “innocently” called “fat” by people who think they know me and that it’s alright to comment on someone’s weight. Aunts, cousins, friends, colleagues, strangers... No one ever asked me if I was OK.

I watched my body change in front of my own eyes: I started fitting in less and less clothes. My moods starting changing also, my energy levels went on a constant drop, every day I woke up and went to bed feeling lethargic, no matter how many hours I slept my body always felt heavy and tired, every day it became harder and harder to get out of bed.

I developed heel spurs and plantar faciitis and, because of all the weight on my feet, it was extremely painful to take even one step. I had to leave my teaching job, and stayed home for a few months. Regardless of all the physical therapy and injections on my feet, a lot of those days were spent crying on the couch because of all the pain I was in.

You must be asking yourselves why I didn’t go to the doctor for the weight gain... I did go, and every time he would dismiss my words. He didn’t perform any tests to prove me wrong nor right. I was naive and thought it was foolish to question him. He didn’t do the right thing, but I should have trusted my body and gone to get a second opinion. After more than a year, I finally got a second opinion and that’s when I first heard the name “hypothyroidism”.

I’ve always been blessed with great self esteem so I didn’t really hate my body or thought I was hideous yet I was hurt— hurt by the words of the people who just assumed things and jumped to the conclusion “she’s just fat because she can’t control her mouth.” When you have hypothyroidism it doesn’t matter how much you exercise and eat well... you’ll still be gaining and gaining weight.

Today, I’m free of hypothyroidism, on my way to much healthier weight, and I’ve already lost 30 pounds. I’ve never had a thigh gap, I’ve always had big boobs and a hard time finding cute tops that button all the way up, I’ve always been curvy, I’ve always loved food, and I’ve always loved my curves. I’m sharing this because not everyone has the same self esteem I have and not everyone has the capacity to love themselves no matter their weight. I’m sharing this because I’m tired of seeing others who struggle with their weight being labeled as “too fat” or “too skinny”. I’m sharing this because we’re all humans and it’s about time we start acting like it.

If anyone is currently struggling and would like to talk, I’m here to listen. I love you all and good night! 💛