Lost my chance with the best thing that’s ever happened to me...

I dated my best friend awhile ago, I’m not gonna bore anyone with the oh so tragic details but I love him and he never loved or will love me. We’re still friends but I honestly don’t know if that makes it better or worse... being around him makes me forget everything else in the world, I feel confident and truly happy. He makes me feel like time has stopped and I never want it to end. But then I have to look at him and deal with the fact I can’t call him my boyfriend... just my friend. I can’t do the things I want to do with him... just simple things like holding his hand. I had so many opportunities when we were together and I never took any of them. I’d give up anything now just to go back and hold his hand one more time... Kills me inside. Worst part is I’m to scared to tell him how I still feel about him because I can’t lose him as a friend too. I can’t lose him again. I want to be able to still see him when his happy and boast him up when he’s not. That makes me happy. My heads spinning and I’m so lost...