Bipolar disorder in relationships

My fiancé was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about 4 years ago. At first it was really hard and in the beginning of our relationship and the both of us were clueless on dealing with it. 
Fast forward to present day - I know most of his triggers or how to get him out of that funk that depression can weigh you down in. But, today - today was hard!
We are currently on vacay and when he met me on the island (he flew from overseas on a business trip) he was 1). Sick 2). Jet lagged and 3). Depressed. 
So with all that going on in nursing him back to normal going into town everyday buying different meds and herbs. He's starting to look and sound like himself. We go for breakfast have a cute skinny dipping session in our villa's pool then all of a sudden he's shut down, distant, and just short with me. Saying things like, "so what do u want to do today" or, "You never have a plan why do I have to come up with everything"?  
First of all, I picked the vacay, the hotel, where we eat, what dates we should go ect. And with him being sick and jet lagged there's not much he's willing to do. So I'm like babe wtf y are you so mad relax lets do blah blah blah and he's so stubborn that's "he's like no and you know what stop pressuring me to have kids"! Out of no where. I didn't know I was pressuring him since I felt like he was pressuring me since he tells me about my fertile window!!! 
Devastated is an understatement! I keep telling myself it's the disease talking but when he said that it felt like someone punched me in the stomach! I finally got to a place where I honestly wanted a family- the idea of being a mother became a dream of mine..... Anyways we did end up going into town which changed his mood but when we got back to the hotel he wanted to have unprotected make up sex and came inside me knowing this my fertile week so I said we need to get condoms and he looked at me like I was crazy... Saying well like I don't know if I want kids
This bipolar disorder is so emotionally draining for him but also for me. 
Is there anyone out there that's in a relationship with someone that's bipolar or, if you are bipolar can't you tell me how your s/o handles the episodes?