Anti-depressants & Pregnant

Emily

Yesterday at my 32 weeks appointment with my OB I finally told them my anxiety and depression were back. I quit taking Lexapro when I found out I was pregnant and did okay for a while. But the last month I’ve been spiraling down and got to the point where I didn’t think I would make it much longer without trying to hurt myself. I know I wouldn’t have killed myself because I want my baby to be okay but I’m not sure if I would have refrained from self harm (which I am officially a year clean from this month!) So we talked about it and my doctor told me the odds of my baby having withdrawal symptoms but she also told me the odds of him having problems connecting emotionally if I didn’t get the help I needed. She showed me the statistics on babies with depressed mothers and how it raises risk of failure to thrive (which my husband had as a baby) and other problems so together we decided it was best for me and my baby boy if I get mentally healthy again. So she prescribed 10mg of Lexapro (before anyone recommends Zoloft or Prozac, I can’t take medications such as those because they made me more suicidal when I tried them in the past)

But here’s to being medicated and mighty and knowing that choosing to get help isn’t giving up but it is choosing to stand up again and fight back for yourself and the ones you love. 💪🏻❤️