what does it mean when he doesn’t think he deserves me?

last night my bf and I got into an argument and he tried to leave me bc I explained to him that I don’t feel like he puts in enough effort in this relationship. I feel like I go out of my way to make time for him and he doesn’t do the same. I like to feel prioritized but I don’t always feel he does that with me. I told him that he still has little boy tendencies and needs to be a man in this relationship. he basically said that if it doesn’t

come natural to him and I have to keep telling him how to act, why am I with him?

I love him and know he can do these simple tasks yet he makes it seem like it’s so hard. we are both only 20 and i’m very mature for my age, I understand how to love on a deeper level. he told me that the type of girl i am is the kind of girl a guy marries and he doesn’t know if it’s the right time in his life to be in a serious relationship the way I want him to be. he said that he loves me and wants nobody else but me but he also doesn’t want me to settle for him if he’s not giving me what I want. i just feel like if he loved me and wanted me bad enough he would at least make an effort to try to do better but his first idea is to just end it ? what do

you guys think?