Birth story (long)


I had my 39 week appointment on Thursday where my doctor said I was 2-3cm dilated, 80% effaced, and baby was in a -1 position. I also had an ultrasound that day and they estimated baby to be 8lb 1 oz so I was more than ready to get labor going. I went home from my appointment and was having random contractions. They weren’t time able or painful so I didn’t think much of them. This was around 4:00 pm. By the time my husband and I were going to sleep my contractions were closer together and starting to get a little stronger 10:30ish. I still wasn’t timing them because they weren’t that consistent nor painful. My husband dosed off and my contractions were picking up with intensity. I was starting to think that I may actually be in labor! At 12:40 I fell asleep only to wake up 45 minutes later with contractions still getting stronger. I decided to get in the shower around 1:45 am. I was in the shower and feeling so great! And contractions continued to pick up in intensity, mind you they still weren’t painful just more like pressure. While in the shower I felt like something popped out of my vagina. I reached down and it was my mucus plug! ( I hadn’t lost any of it prior to this) at this point I’m thinking that this is definitely labor. Once out of the shower I started timing contractions. They were 2.5 minutes apart but only lasting for 30 seconds. My husband woke up at 2:30 and I told him what was going on. He wanted to go into work for a little because he had a lot of things going on that day and he wanted to prep for whoever else was going to have to take over the shift (he’s the general manager of a restaurant). He left and my contractions started to get pretty painful. At 4:30ish I called and told him he needed to come home because it was time to go to the hospital. While I was waiting for him I got really shaky and threw up. He got home about 5:00 am, grabbed all the bags, and we headed to the car. I remember thinking I hope they don’t send me home lol. As soon as we sat down in my car, my water broke! What a weird feeling it was! It just kept gushing out. I started sobbing crying and hysterically laughing at the same time. It was such an emotional time realizing it’s finally time to meet my angel! I was also so scared because the contractions were getting strong and I didn’t know if I would be able to do it. We get checked it and I’m 5cm, 100% effaced, and baby is at 0 station. They asked me about if I wanted an epidural and I said yes! Got me started on my fluids and I got the epidural around 7:00 am. The epidural was honestly the best thing I ever could of done. The contractions were hurting so bad up until then and I honestly couldn’t imagine going through the rest of labor and pushing without it. I have 0 regrets getting it. My husband and mom came back in the room and couldn’t believe the difference in how I felt. They started me on a little Pitocin because the epidural spaced out my contractions. The pitocin didn’t last long though because baby didn’t react well to it. Just before 11:00 my doctor came in and I was 10 cm and ready to push! Actually 2 out of my 3 doctors were in the room for a little while which the nurses said they had never seen before! They both wanted to deliver my little girl. I started pushing at 11:04 and let me tell you that was something I wasn’t prepared for. My epidural worked so good that I was completely numb and didn’t feel any pressure so it was really difficult to try and push. The doctor had them turn down my epidural half way and after a little I could eventually feel a little pressure. If you’re getting ready to deliver soon I would recommended doing some small arm workouts everyday. My arms are so sore! They have you hold your legs and pull them towards you as you’re pushing and man it was so hard! The doctor was telling me I really needed to push hard because baby wasn’t handling labor so well and we needed to get her out of there! I was discouraged for a little because I didn’t think I would be able to do it. Finally, at 1:21 pm Friday 5/25/18 my little girl came into the world, crying right away. They put her right on my belly (said my cord was really short) and she had her first poop on me immediately! My husband was right there cleaning it all up lol. It was the most incredible experience I’ve ever had in my life. I had a 3rd degree tear so I’m dealing with recovery from that but I’m on cloud 9. Overall with my pregnancy and delivery, I had an amazing experience. I feel like the luckiest woman on the planet. Good luck to all you mommas going to deliver soon! You can do this!

Mila Rose weighed 7lbs 13oz and was 20.5 inches long! She has lots of hair and I had tons of heartburn throughout my pregnancy.