Can anyone answer this question for me? Nobody has ever been able to

We had a salt water pool growing up and it was an in-ground pool.

If you were all the way submerged in the pool you wouldn’t feel a thing, no different than swimming in a chlorine treated pool. BUT

If you went and sat on the side of the pool and just put your feet in your feet would sting.

same thing if you were swimming and swam to the edge and perched yourself up with your arms there and your bottom half was in the pool, your bottom half would sting. Especially if you had like a cut from shaving that cut would burn like.. like pouring salt into a wound.

Basically if you were in the pool and had any kind of body part outside of it, touching the concrete around the pool, your skin in the water would sting.

Nobody has ever been able to explain this to me. Right after the salt would be poured into the pool again to keep it clean, is when it would sting the most. It would sting so bad right after having more salt poured in that it made me cry once.added: YAS we had to wait a few days to swim after having the salt poured in. But getting in 2 days later is when it stung/burned most.

WHY? why does this happen?