Maternity leave! God bless Canada β€οΈπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Vi

So I posted previously about getting fired for being pregnant which is super illegal and I plan to peruse but my biggest worry is that I wouldn’t qualify for maternity leave. You need to be employed 300 hours in a certain number of weeks prior to taking maternity.

I called service Canada and I got this wonderful guy on the phone with a Newfie accent!

He was so kind about my situation and he re assured me that based on the fact that I’ve been consecutively employed for years and have over 1500 hours banked service Canada is going to cover me under Regular Employment insurance (half my wage) until the baby is born. Once the baby comes they will automatically flip my claim to Maternity/parental leave, all I have to decide is how long I want to take after that, but service Canada is willing to cover me the next 6 months and then the following 18 months. I could be off work for 2 years total from pregnancy to baby being 18 months.

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

I’m so grateful to live in Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ I would NEVER move anywhere

*****Just an FYI I plan to take a year of parental leave not the full 18 months because I already miss working 😩******