My boyfriend wants to take a break bc I’m too nice???

My boyfriend of a year recently said we needed a break because I’m “too nice it’s fake”. I’m honestly devastated, I didn’t know he felt this way and if I had maybe we could have talked about it and I could have fixed it?? We had this huge argument last night because he was a little short on rent, and I wanted to pay it. I didn’t think it was a big deal, it was just a gesture of love and wanting to help, but he exploded. He said this act is annoying and fake, and I give too much of myself to others which isn’t good. I do admittedly do some bad things, like when I came to la it was the first time I’d ever physically seen someone homeless. I’m not used to that, so I would help them buy lunch or products. If we went to dinner and I had leftovers that were still hot, I’d offer it. Sometimes when I hold doors open ya end up standing there for awhile, but that’s bound to happen. You don’t want to just slam the door in someone’s face like ??? I like to think everyone is inherently good, or that the world is good, etc. He said when I do these things it wastes his time and my money and that I just don’t know anything about people and I’m not smart enough to see them take advantage. I get I can be a bit of a pushover, but I honestly don’t mind. I’m not trying to be fake, I just know I’d want someone to do the same for me. I didn’t know this all annoyed him, and I wish I could turn back time. If I’d have known, I could have maybe considered his time more, or done these things in my own time. So really, does anyone have any advice on how to remedy this?? I want to show him that I’m not a total pushover, and that I can prioritize him too??