Is this normal for Canadian Healthcare?

Hi everyone,

So, for many years I pushed off seeing my doctor. As in, I think the last time I went I was 15. I am now 29 and I finally started getting things going again. However, I feel very confused by the whole process and it’s not really what I was expecting.

I’m not very sexually active, so I wasn’t too concerned about the pap situation. I did get my first one done today, but I was expecting this exam to be a full physical exam since it’s been many, many years since that would’ve been completed.

Nope! The nurse checked my weight and height, then the doctor asked me some questions. She did the pap, checked my ovaries and did some swabs for STIs because she was down there anyway. Then she gave me my tetnis shot and she listened to my lungs because of a concern I had about coughing and that was it. No information about booking another appointment or anything, so I left a little unsure if I should’ve booked one.

Course, I definitely forgot to ask her some things, like renewing my birth control prescription. I’m just confused though. I would’ve thought a breast exam and all that would’ve been involved too?

Are annual check ups not a thing anymore? Should I be concerned she doesn’t seem that keen on checking things out? Or was I expecting too much and what I had was basically a physical. I feel I am healthy, so maybe due to my age and stuff they keep it simple? She told me if my results are normal, to give them a call to find out for sure in a couple weeks, otherwise they’ll be calling me, so I do plan to ask the questions I forgot to ask then. I just wanted some insight as to whether things are on the right track for me here, or if I should be concerned.

I feel I could be confusing this system with how the dentist works, where they’re eager to get you there all the time so they can get more money 😄.

Thanks a bunch in advance!