Nexplanon or smoking?

Kelli

Hey all!

On my 18th birthday I got the Nexplanon implant, and about a month after I got it put in, I stopped getting periods. Completely. I wouldn’t even get symptoms of PMS or ovulation, of anything. It was as if my uterus had just disappeared, and the only time it showed itself was after having unprotected sex, where i would just spot for a day about a week after sex. I wrote it off as a side effect of the Nexplanon.

However, now that it has been a year and two months since my last menstrual cycle, I am currently experiencing my first one. It came out of absolutely nowhere, and at first I was confused about what could be causing it because the Nexplanon had stopped my periods completely, and now all of a sudden here I am, having the worst period of my life. Then I remembered that when I got the Nexplanon put in, I was smoking cigarettes and had been for about six months at that point. It has been a little over a month since the last time I had a cigarette or nicotine of any form, and I’m wondering if that could have anything to do with it? I’m reading mixed answers online about whether or not smoking can disrupt your menstrual cycle at all, but especially since I also got the birth control put in, I cant really tell if quitting smoking caused the onset of my period or if the effects the Nexplanon has on my body are just changing.

What do you guys think?