Boyfriend help

I need help,

K so It started when I told my friend I liked this guy, a month after I said that my friend sent him a message to him with us and he asked me out on a date after that message.

My friend asked what would you do if he asked you out, I said I’d take it slow as freinds, only because I had a relationship not long before him which destroyed me and I wasn’t willing to get in a relationship yet,

My freind said to me that I should say yes but I’m a nice way because she took a lot of effort for him to ask me out, so when he did ask me out I said yes but take it slow,

Lately I’ve been thinking to say “I’m sorry but I thought I was ready for a relationship but I’m not and I thought for now just to be freinds,” I’ve been scared to though because everyone’s saying how lucky he is to have me and all this and I’m scared everyone is going to talk shit and saying how I was using him which I wasn’t,

My past relationship was fucked, it was long distance and made me feel self concious about myself,because of my X I’ve been struggling, and I don’t think a relationship is good for me now,