A lot going on

Taj

So I’m 18 and my dad is almost 60. I love that man he’s like my best friend at times but we also have a lot of issues because he’s an alcoholic. I used to be such a daddy’s girl because I didn’t know how much the alcohol was affecting everyone’s lives until he started emotionally abusing me. I was doing bad in school and he would make me feel like crap about it. He drinks every single night and it gets so tiring and he’s had a lot of complications due to his excessive use (having toes amputated, bad diabetes, health problems etc). He’s not a bad guy AT ALL. My dad is such an amazing person when he’s sober he’s so goofy and understanding and he’s everything I could ask for in a dad but the liquor gets in the way of that. He also has an abundance of kids that he doesn’t really take care of. He claims all of them, but my younger sister (11) and I are the only kids who’s lives he’s stayed in for more than maybe 6-7 years. I have at least 8 siblings, and I found out about a week ago that I have another sister I didn’t know about. This happens once every couple of years so I’m used to it now. But he says that I don’t care for him and respect him like I used to and we never talk and stuff and honestly it makes me feel like shit but how can I respect someone who puts alcohol before the well-being of his kids. I know my dad loves us he says it 1000 times a day and his actions show it but the alcohol is a serious problem. And it hurts my heart because he’s been drinking for over 30 years so I honestly don’t know when my last day with him is but i have a hard time showing affections towards him because of him. I love my dad sooo much but I don’t know what to do. 😔 my mom treats him like crap every day because of it too and my dad has been through a lot which is why he drinks but it’s just so much. I’m hurt, and I know he is too.