What to do if in-laws threaten to take your baby!!!??? *UPDATE*

Karuna • Married, mom to a girl and a boy!

So all this started just a few weeks after my baby arrived. I am a ftm of a beautiful baby girl. She was born at 37w4d low birth weight - 4.9 lbs. I ended up having an emergency c-section as my water broke and labour was progressing slowly. We were so happy that our baby girl has come and she is all fine.

She ended up having jaundice and what treated under the light 5 days after her birth. I was exclusively breastfeeding her and she was growing very well, putting on good weight. Everything else was absolutely fine until the third week. She started having gas which got worse but doctors just named it colic. Finally at 5 weeks, she was diagnosed with milk allergy and i had to give her formula and stop breastfeeding as we couldn’t figure out what food is actually causing her allergy. This was so hard for me and an emotional time that i wasn’t been able to breastfeed my baby. I was willing to stop everything and eat boiled rice/potato but the doctor advised against it as i wasn’t recovering from my surgery well and was losing weight. Ultimately, she was put 100% on formula and started recovered well.

Somewhere in the middle of all this, my in-laws visited us for a couple of weeks and witnessed everything. My husband is the only child which means he is utterly pampered and his pare ts are absolutely paranoid about him. 37 years flashback, my husband had a few days of health issues when he was born and his parents freaked out because of it. Since then, they have taken care of him like he is still a 1 day old baby. I love my husband but I absolutely hate the fact that he still acts childish and requires attention from everyone the way his parents give to him. His parents have made sure that he remains dependent on them all his life by scaring him about everything in this world, running on stairs, walking in the sun, standing in the balcony, and the list os never ending. Things that a normal person does are scary for his parents and they try to scare me in the same way. For some time I ignored them but then it started affecting me like anything. I was and am such a carefree person but staying with them for some time made me a super scared person. Thankfully i found a job out of country and moved out.

While visiting us to see the baby, my in-laws interfered in every single thing that i did (which is what they always do) - what should i eat, at what time, where should it sit and when and so on. I got so humiliated but still didn’t say anything to them.

After a few days, i receive an email from them threatening me that i am not taking proper care of my baby, neglecting my health and am harming/torturing my baby. According to them, all that happened to my LO is due to my negligence and lack of experience. They are not sure how long my baby will survive with me!! They have threatened that they will take my baby and raise her by themselves. I was in shock!!!! Here i am, making sure i can do best for my baby in everything and here they are blackmailing me because i didn’t follow their instructions and refused to become their slave!! I cannot believe anyone can think of separating a 2 month old baby from her mother!!!! The most disappointing thing is that my husband has not taken any stand for me. Instead, he sends them pictures of our LO everyday a few times a day to show that she is being taken care of properly and that she is alive!

I don’t know what to do. My relationship with my husband is getting affected, i am not able to sleep peacefully at night and worried they may harm me or my baby.

My LO is a healthy 12lbs baby and a very happy baby. I cannot for a second think of staying away from her.

This whole drama by my in-laws has caused so much distress that i am getting drained mentally every single second since. For some reason, my husband cannot see this! I love my husband and would like to have a healthy and happy relationship with him but this is beyond anything that i ever imagined!

What would you do in this situation?

*UPDATE*

First of all, thank you all ladies for your support when i needed it the most. I this means a lot to me. I did have a chat with my husband and made him understand what i am going through and i think he understands now. I have also decided to keep my in-laws at bay and have made it clear to them that if anything like this happens, a strong action will be taken against them. I am not going to let them torture me anymore.

Thanks so much ladies!!