What does he mean (sorry it’s long)

Me (15) and my ex (16) have been broken up for about 6 months now. We used to not talk at all and just avoid each other at school, but recently I’m like the past month or 2 we began talking again. And now we hang out almost all the time. We always hang during our shared classes during lunch and probably outside of school at least one day a week. When we do hang were always cuddling and kissing as if we never broke up. I knows what your thinking “oh he obviously still likes you” but that’s where the tricky part comes in. The first time he kissed me I asked him “so what does this mean?” And he was like “idk what do you think it means?” And I was just like “I’m just confused” and he started looking at me and was like “Your about to cry” so I looked away bc when people notice I’m about to cry then I’m for sure crying there’s no holding it back. So I began to cry and he went in front of my face so I couldn’t look away. And was all like “I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean it like anything it was just a in the moment thing. It just felt right at the time because we have such a connection” at that point I just explained to him that it was all right and that I was fine. But he began to cry to which may I add after knowing him for about 1.5 years, that was the second time I’ve ever seen him cry. So let me just say I was very confused. Anyways, I went him and we pretended like nothing ever happened. Yesterday I went back over to his house and we were cuddling and then we began making out. And he tried to make a move for sex and I was like “I’m sorry I’m not comfortable with that I only want to do that with someone I’m in a relationship with.” And he said to me “I understand that and I’m not pressuring you to. Sex is a very sentimental thing and should be with someone your very close with. I personally feel closer to you than I ever have to anyone every before and I think that we’re honestly more than just best friends” so I asked, “if not best friends what are we, are we fuck buddies?” He laughed at that and we continued to cuddle. So I just don’t know what the guy means. He’s always flirting with me calling me the most beautiful girl he knows and saying how he wishes every girl was like me. We spend countless hours together hanging out and we’re always texting when we’re not. But whenever someone asks if we’re dating he says no as if it were an obvious answer, and whenever we go out in public we hide any affection we show to each other because he doesn’t want other people to think we’re dating. So I don’t know what to think. Is he just scared to make a move, is he trying to just be fuck buddies, or does he genuinely just want a friendship?