Ex's..

My ex and I had a weird relationship, it started off weird and he appeared to be cheating on me a few months in. I couldn't deal with it anymore so I broke it off, I could've handled it better, but I tried my best at the time to be mature. It was pretty okay, but the way he acted after is where the problems started. He started spreading really personal stuff, lying, and overall was an ass for no reason. I didn't say or do anything until about a month after we broke up and he had been on his anger rampage trying to destroy my reputation. We went to the same college, I went and finished and moved back home - 8 hrs away. He has since asked a girl out that he used to have a crush on and has been on tinder trying to find a new gf, he's also trashed my name and has openly talked about breaking into my car (when I still lived on campus) and filled it with trash, or put something in there or moved stuff..

We cut off communication clean about 6 months ago, he texted me at 2:30 a.m. last night asking if we could start talking again? I know talking isn't a big deal, but I know his ways and I really don't want to date him again and I really don't know if I can respect him enough to be friends. (I respect him as a person but not as someone I can trust)

My family is all emotionally invested, so I can't ask them..

What should I do?

Not looking for judgement, just trying to get outsider perspectives.