Idk how to respond to this

We break up four weeks ago. There was no cheating or physical abuse. After that day (he basically break up with me) i been texting him and basically acting so needy...but because it so devastating for me and we had plans to marry soon. So i been having up and down emotions and depression and last sunday i felt so bad and i told him in his face that if he dont want to get back together then im not talking to him anymore because basically he suggest to be friends for now... but that makes me feel anxious...so i realize that i need to really calm down and dont talk to him for some time. I thought after i told him i was not gonna talk to him anymore, he was just not talk to me either... but now he sent me this text this morning. I truly love him and he said these past weeks that he loves me but that we or he need time...

I know the problem can be fixed but i guess i really need to focus more on me but i also want to try to work things up with him.

What can i tell him? I really dont want to sound so needy. I havent talk to him since last sunday. And he was my first bf ever...