I took you for granted...

Yes, I took you for granted.

I took you for granted when you would snuggle and kiss me all over to wake me up. I hated that. But that was your way to get me to laugh every morning.

I took you for granted when we went apple picking and you lifted me up to reach the BEST ones at the top. Who is supposed to do that now?

I took you for granted when we got our puppy and you would take him for walks and potty all night long so I could get some rest. It’s all my job now, I don’t rest much anymore.

I took you for granted when you bought me flowers and planned a huge surprise party on our anniversary. I thought that was so cheesy and couldn’t believe you made such a big deal out of it.

I took you for granted when you would call me and check in after a fire. I just always thought you’d be safe. You were my Superman and wouldn’t ever leave me.

I took you for granted when you’d make me hot baths and bring me a glass of wine after long days at work. Always making me feel so loved and welcomed home. But now, no matter how hot the water is, I still feel so cold.

I took you for granted when you would plan movie nights at home, tucked under the covers, rubbing my feet. That always felt like complete bliss.

I took you for granted when you would cover me back up at night when I would kick the covers off. Now I wake up cold and wonder where you are.

I took you for granted when you would hold me, when I would just be able to cry in your arms and feel safe. Now I cry and hold your shirt so tight, grasping for your scent before it fades forever.

I took you for granted when you would warm up my car in the mornings. Fall is turning into winter and it’s such a long, cold walk down the driveway.

I took you for granted when you would come up behind me and squeeze me as hard as you could. No else one will ever give a bear hug just right.

I took you for granted when you would text me reminders of how much you loved me. I knew there would always be a reason I wanted to save them.

I took you for granted the last morning I said goodbye. I knew you’d be coming back to me, so I didn’t take my time. I knew you’d come running in the front door to hold me tight the next day. I knew you’d be okay.

But I took you for granted.

And you didn’t come home okay.

You didn’t make it home that morning. A fire took you from me that night. You left me to save someone else. We didn’t get our baby. We didn’t get our happily ever after.

And now I feel guilty for being here without you. I took you for granted. I took your laugh, your smile, your soft skin, all for granted.

Tomorrow I get to say goodbye. But I’m not ready. You said you wouldn’t leave. You said we’d have kids together and grow old. You said we’d still be here together. Why aren’t we together???

The house is quiet. There will be no nursery. There will be no crying baby. There will be no cuddles at night, no hot baths to come home to, no hugs in the mornings.

I can’t breathe. There’s no way I can catch my breath. I lay here staring at your empty side of the bed just wondering why I took it all for granted.

These are the last words you said to me.

I promise I won’t take them for granted.

We love you.

—your girl and her puppy