My marriage is failing. We don’t see eye to eye anymore.

Leslie • 011

I’d love to explain everything but it would take me forever. So I’m going to explain one situation. Yesterday my best friend got married. When my husband and I were on our way to the wedding he said to me “ I really don’t want to go, I’d rather stay home and watch tv or play video games.” Mind you my husband was up since 3 a.m. for work. I told him he didn’t have to go. He said “I’m going, to support you.” Fast forward and we are at the reception. He was drinking but aware and functional. He said he was tired and told me he’s ready to go when I am. We danced to a slow song, than sat back down. The music picked up and everyone was dancing. He said he didn’t like dancing to upbeat songs. I agreed. Although I was moving in my chair. My husband said “Well it sure seems as you want to dance, go ahead and dance” part of me did but I didn’t want to leave him by himself. So I stayed. I then decided to ask him if he would be upset if I took him home (because I knew he was tired) and come back... he got upset and we ended up going outside and arguing. I didn’t mean it as I didn’t want him there. I just wanted him to be comfortable (I was getting the vibe he wasn’t) he says to me “if I was that tired I would have told you I am tired and let’s go” I quickly realize what I said was stupid but I didn’t think he would take so hard. So I ended up telling everyone he was tired and we left. When on our way home he asked me what I would have done if he had gone home. I said I would just sit there and celebrate with my friends the day of their wedding. (Would I have danced, eh maybe) My husband said he was completely fine up until I asked that question. Fast forward, Now I’m in bed alone and he is in the living room sleeping.

I understand why he got upset, but from the get go I was under the impression that he didn’t want to go, and that he was tired.

I was totally okay with him not going, and I told him that. And because I knew he was tired, I didn’t want him to feel like he had to go dance with me. So I stayed with him to make him comfortable so he wasn’t alone.

I know what I said wasn’t nice. But I wanted him to feel comfortable and I thought taking him home was what he wanted.

By the way he told me he felt the only reason why I wanted to do that was because he thinks I wanted to dance with other men or be a “single woman” but that wasn’t the case at all. I wanted to celebrate my friends wedding. Without making my husband feel like he had to be there.

I feel so stupid.